Best Sooji Upma Recipe in 20 Minutes | Rava Upma Recipe
A sooji upma which is also called as rava kichadi is a very simple yet delicious South Indian breakfast or snacks recipe which is generally served by garnishing freshly grated coconut on top. This is not just a breakfast or snacks recipe, but you can take this suji ka upma in your tiffin box.
This is not just any normal breakfast, but a healthy one. You can serve this South Indian special coconut chutney or you can have this as it is. Rava upma recipe is very famous in Maharashtra and some South Indian states. You can easily find a rava upma in any restaurant or roadside stalls especially in Maharashtra.
As this is considered as a healthy breakfast, in the early mornings, where there are offices nearby, in those places you can see many idli sellers come and sell some south Indian breakfast dishes like set dosa, idli, medu vada, and upma. Some may also sell poha along with upma. Upma and poha are very common in Mumbai.
Making a rava upma is very easy. First, roast the suji/rava till they turn brown, or you can also skip this. Then stir fry the veggies, add water, then add the roasted rava, let it simmer until the water dries out, and your upma is ready. There is another quick way to make your suji upma recipe.
Just add all the ingredients (including the rava) into the hot oil, fry them until the veggies turn a little soft, add some water, and let it simmer till the water evaporates. I prefer this method as this is very easy and quick as well. This is the method that I have shared in this post.
Recipe with detailed ingredients and steps are provided in the recipe card below. You can also print this recipe from the button provided in the recipe card.
You can also like other South Indian breakfast recipes like,
1. Khara pongal
3. Maddur Vadai
4. Goli Baje
Sooji Upma Recipe Homemade
To make this homemade rava upma, you would need,
- Green Chilli
- Curry Leaves
- Mustard Seeds
– Take a kadhai, add some oil in the frying pan, add the Mustard Seeds, Curry leaves, and saute it for a Minute.
– Then add the chopped onions and saute it for another minute or till the onions turn slightly translucent.
– Add the finely chopped green chilies, 1 inch chopped ginger, chopped tomato and saute it for another minute or two.
– Now, add 1 cup rava and mix all the ingredients well.
– Add 3 cups of water to the Rava mixture along with sugar and some salt according to your taste and stir them well.
– Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer until the water dries up.
– Your sooji upma is ready to be served. Serve it with coconut chutney and a lemon wedge.
Sooji Upma | Wheat Rava Upma
How to Make Rava Upma Recipe at Home?
- Take a kadhai, add 1 tbsp oil in the frying pan, add ½ tsp Mustard Seeds, 5 Curry leaves, and saute it for 1 Minute.
- Then add the chopped onions and saute it for another minute or till the onions turn slightly translucent.
- Add the finely chopped green chilies, 1 inch chopped ginger, 1 large chopped tomato and saute it for another minute or two.
- Now, add 1 cup rava and mix all the ingredients well.
- Add 3 cups of water to the Rava mixture along with ½ tsp sugar and some salt according to your taste and stir them well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer until the water dries up.
- Your Suji Upma is ready to be served. Serve it with coconut chutney and a lemon wedge.
- You can also first roast the Rava and keep aside. Add it after you add the water.
- Add ghee instead of oil. It will give a much tasty and healthier recipe.
- You can also add Cumin seeds with Mustard Seeds and chana dal along with urad dal
- Follow the measurements properly. If not followed, it may change the taste of Rava Upma.
- You don’t just have to stick to carrots and peas, you can add any veggies of your choice.