What’s Cooking India? Today its Dhokla or Khaman Dhokla. In general, people call it as dhokla. But actually, it is called as Khaman. It is a Gujarati dish loved by all. Who doesn’t love Gujarati dishes like Fafda, Jalebi, Dhokla, Khandvi, etc, etc? So today, without wasting any more time, let us start our Recipe.
It is very easy to cook, and also, your Khaman will taste exactly like the Dhokla available in the market. Read the whole recipe before starting your cooking process.
What are the Ingredients of Khaman Dhokla?
|Besan (Chickpea Flour)||250 grams (2 Cups)|
|Green Chilli||2 to 3 pieces|
|Lemon Juice||1 Tbsp|
|Curry Leaf||6 to 8 pieces|
|Mustard Seed||2 Tsp|
|ENO (Fruit Salt)||½ Packet or ½ tsp|
|Parsley (Dhania Patta)||2 Tbsp|
|Baking Soda||¼ tsp|
Method to prepare Khaman Dhokla
1) Preparing Khaman Dhokla Batter
- Take a large bowl. Large enough to mix all the ingredients without spilling it out.
- Now, take 2 cups Besan, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp Lemon juice in that bowl.
- Mix it for 5 minutes so that all the ingredients are mixed properly.
- Now add little water in it. Little is enough water to make a thick paste.
- Give a good stir to the Besan Paste for around 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp hot oil (not boiling) and give another good stir. Due to oil, the matter will become a bit thin.
- Your Khaman dhokla batter is ready to be cooked.
- Take a small amount of water in a large open vessel or a cooker.
- Place a small cooking ring or a small bowl inside the vessel or the cooker and bring it to boil.
- In a flat plate, grease with oil on the upper side in which the batter will be placed.
- Now, add a half packet of ENO or baking soda into the batter. Both work the same.
- Give another good stir and immediately put it into the oil greased plate.
- Place that plate inside the cooker or the vessel.
- If you are using a cooker, remove the whistle of the cooker and then close it.
- If you are using a vessel, cover it with any lid.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open the lid, poke the batter with a knife to check whether it is cooked or not. If the knife comes out without any batter stuck to it, then your dhokla is ready. If not, then let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- After your dhokla is ready, Take it out of the mold carefully, and cut it into 1 sq inch pieces.
2) To garnish or tempering
Main magic of khaman dhokla lies in its Tempering part. This is an important step.
- In a cooking pan, take 2 tbsp oil.
- Put 2 tsp Mustard seeds, 5 to 6 curry leaves, 1 tsp parsley, 1 tsp salt, and finely chopped green chilies.
- Sort it for 3 minutes, then add 200 ml of water and 2 tbsp sugar.
- Give a good stir, so that the sugar melts.
- Now, spill this over your prepared Dhokla.
Your Tasty, spongy, soft and healthy Dhokla is ready to be eaten and served.
Tips to make a perfect Khaman Dhokla
- The consistency of the Dhokla batter should be perfect which is the key for a soft spongy Khaman Dhokla.
- Beat the batter as much you want. This is because, the more you beat, the more bubbles will be formed in the batter which makes the Dhokla soft.
- After you put the batter in the baking tray, don’t pat it to set the batter evenly. As because, doing this will make the bubbles to burst which in turn will make your Dhokla not much spongy.
- You can use ENO (Fruit salt – a regular one) or baking soda.