What’s Cooking India? Its Rava Dosa’s Sister, Rava Idli😜. Similar to Rava dosa, Rava Idlis are also easy to make. Unlike normal Idli, Rava Idli does not require any overnight fermentation. So you don’t have to wait for a day to make Rava Idli.
If you are undecided what to make for breakfast or what to take in your tiffin? then Rava Dosa or Rava Idli will be a good option. Rava Idli Recipe is given in this post.
Rava Idli was created by Mavalli Tiffin Rooms which is also known as MTR is a popular ready-mix food-related enterprises in India.
During World War II, there was a shortage of rice through which the idlis were made. Then, they experimented with Semolina. And this is how Rava Idli was discovered.
Ingredients Needed for Rava Idli
|Rava Idli Preparation|
|Rava (Semolina / Sooji)||1 Cup|
|Chana Dal||½ tbsp|
|Cashew Nuts||1 tbsp|
|Rai (Mustard seeds)||½ tsp|
|Ginger (Grated)||¾ tsp|
|Green Chilies (Chopped)||2 – 3|
|Curry Leaves||8 – 10|
|Rava Idli Batter|
|Coriander leaves ( Chopped)||2 – 3 tbsp|
|Dahi / Curd (Fresh)||¾ cup|
|Salt||According to your taste|
|ENO (Fruit Salt – Regular)||1 tsp|
|Split Cashew nuts||8|
Method to prepare Rava Idli Recipe
For Tempering Rava Idli:
- Take a small pan. Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee on a medium flame. Add 8 split cashew nuts and fry them until they are golden brown. Set them aside for garnishing.
- Now in the same pan, add ¼ teaspoon jeera, ½ teaspoon rai, ½ tablespoon chana dal, 1 tablespoon chopped cashew nuts. Saute them until the dal turns light brown in color.
- Turn down the heat to the minimum. Now add the 2-3 chopped green chilies, ¾ teaspoon grated ginger along with 8-10 curry leaves. Saute them for another 20 to 30 seconds.
- Now quickly add 1 cup Rava into the pan. Mix the rava well.
- Now on the low flame, saute the rava continuously until it turns slightly aromatic. Do not let the rava turn brown.
- Now turn off the gas. Set the pan aside and let the rava cool down.
How to Prepare Rava Idli Batter:
- After the rava has cooled down completely, add it into a mixing bowl.
- Now add 2-3 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves, salt, ¾ cup dahi and a ½ cup of water into the bowl.
- Mix everything well, until the batter has a uniform consistency. Cover it up and set it aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- After 25 minutes prepare the idli moulds. Grease the mould with oil and place 1 spilt cashew in each mould. Now set them aside.
How to make Rava Idli Recipe:
- After 30 minutes, check the rava idli batter. Mix the batter once again. Check the batter consistency and add ¼ to ½ cup of water into the batter if required. The batter should be thick and smooth just like any normal idli batter.
- Now prepare the Idli steamer. Add a glassful of water into the Idli steamer. Let it boil.
- Meanwhile, add 1 teaspoon of ENO into the batter and gently mix it. Avoid over mixing the batter.
- Immediately transfer the batter into the moulds. Place the moulds in the hot idli steamer and let it steam for 12-15 minutes on high flame.
- Now remove the moulds from the steamer and allow the idli to cool down for 3 to 4 minutes.
- After the idli has cooled down, demould the idli with the help of a wet spoon.
- Serve this delicious South Indian delicacy with coconut chutney.