Punjabi Bread Pakora Recipe
Whats Cooking India? It’s Punjabi bread pakora recipe. It is a very famous tea time breakfast recipe loved by all.
The steps of this recipe is very easy. Instead of potato filling, you can also add Paneer (Cottage Cheese) and make paneer bread pakoda.
Bread pakoda is basically 2 sides of bread with spicy potato filling in between and coated with Gram flour.
You can find Bread pakora on almost every stall and small snack shop. This bread pakora recipe is mainly consumed by green chutney or ketchup.
It tastes very good with a cup of hot coffee or tea. You can also try Kanda Poha or dabeli with hot tea.
Punjabi Bread Pakora Recipe
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- White Bread - 5 to 6 Slices
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Potatoes - 3 Medium
- Curry Leaves - 4 to 5 Leaves
- Green Chilies (Chopped) - 2
- Coriander Leaves (Finely Chopped)- 3 Tbsp
- Garam Masala - ½ Tsp
- Salt According to your need
- Mustard Seeds (Rai) - ½ Tsp
- Ginger Paste - ½ Tsp
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ Tsp
- Red Chili Powder - ½ Tsp
- Oil - For Deep Frying
- Gram Flour - ¾ Cup
- Rice Flour - 2 Tbsp
- Carom Seeds (Ajwain)- ½ Tsp
- Water - According to your need
Steps to make the Potato filling for your Bread Ke Pakode
- Step 1: Boil 3 medium-sized potatoes in a Pressure cooker for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Step 2: After it is cooked, remove their skin, mash them and keep them aside.
- Step 3: Now, in a kadhai, heat 1 to 2 Tbsp oil and add mustard seeds. Let it crackle.
- Step 4: Add 2 chopped green chilies, ½ Tsp ginger paste, and 4 to 5 curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Step 5: Now, add the Garam Masala, ½ Tsp red chili powder, and ¼ Tsp of turmeric.
- Step 6: Switch off the flame. Add the mashed potatoes and salt. Mix everything well. Let it cool.
Steps to Make the Bread Pakoda
- Step 1: Take 3 slices of bread. Add the mashed potato mixture on top of each slice.
- Step 2: Cover each of the slices with another slice and press it gently.
- Step 3: Now, cut each bread pakoda pair diagonally. So, one pair will make 2 triangles.
- Step 4: In a deep frying pan, add oil for deep frying.
- Step 5: In the meanwhile, in a large bowl, add ½ Tsp carom seeds, ¾ Cup besan, 2 Tbsp rice flour, Salt, and ¼ Tsp Red Chili Powder.
- Step 6: Add water and mix them well. The batter should be neither too thin, nor too thick. Thick pouring consistency, so that the batter sticks to the bread and remains intact.
- Step 7: Till now, your oil should become hot. Place each bread pair in the batter, coat it well on all sides.
- Step 8: Keep the flame on medium, carefully slide it in the hot oil. Let it cook on one side for a minute.
- Step 9: Flip it and let the other side cook in a similar manner for a minute.
- Step 10: Keep flipping till both sides turn golden brown. Remove them on a kitchen napkin. Repeat this process for all the remaining pieces of bread.
Serve it with green chutney, ketchup, or schezwan chutney.
- You can use brown bread or whole-grain bread instead of white bread.
- Apply little green chutney on both the bread slices before adding the potato filling.
- Add cheese slices with the fillings to make cheese bread pakora.
- You can also add diced paneer cubes along with the mashed potato.
- You can add 1 tsp of cornflour or rice flour to make your bread pakora crispy.
Amount Per Serving Calories 495Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 1gSodium 1030mgCarbohydrates 66gFiber 10gSugar 7gProtein 16g
Related Bread Pakora Recipe Video