What’s Cooking India? It’s methi khakhra recipe. A quick time healthy snack recipe, which is made up of whole wheat flour. It is mainly served in breakfast or used as a snack.
These khakhras can be kept airtight for many days. It is a light, crispy tea time snack consumed either alone or with mango pickle or with curd or yogurt.
It is a traditional Gujarati recipe that can be found in almost every general store in the Western part of India. It is best to make the khakhras at home.
Easy to make, it will just take 45 minutes to prepare 5 to 10 khakhras at once. If you are traveling, then it can prove to be the best snack for you.
Make at least 15 to 20 khakhras at once and keep it airtight. It can serve you for at least 1 week or more.
Methi Khakhra Recipe
- Dried Methi Leaves (Kasuri Methi) (Chopped) - 2 Tbsp
- Wheat Flour - 2 Cups
- Red Chili Powder - ¼ Tsp
- Haldi (Turmeric Powder) - ½ Tsp
- Hing (Asafoetida) (Optional) - ¼ Tsp
- Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Salt - According to your taste
Steps to Prepare Methi Khakhra Recipe
- Step 1: Take a large bowl.
- Step 2: Add the Methi leaves, Wheat flour, Rec Chili powder, Turmeric powder, Hing, Oil, and salt.
- Step 3: Mix them together.
- Step 4: Then add water parts by parts and form a stiff dough.
- Step 5: Now, cover the dough with a clean muslin cloth for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Step 6: After the rest, make golf ball-sized small portions of the dough.
- Step 7: Using a rolling pin, roll one dough into thin circles. Use wheat flour while rolling the dough to prevent it from sticking to the base of the rolling pin.
- Step 8: Heat a Tawa. Keep the flame on medium, add the rolled out portion.
- Step 9: After some air pockets are formed, flip the dough and let it cook.
- Step 10: Sprinkle some oil on top, and spread it using a ladle.
- Using a soft clean cloth, start pressing the upper side while continuously turning it in motion.
- Step 11: Do it for a few minutes.
- Step 12: Now, flip it again and continue pressing this side while turning it in motion to make it crispy.
- Step 13: Make all the khakhras in a similar manner. Your khakhra is ready.
Store it in an airtight container after it is cooled completely. Serve it in your snacks with tea or take it in your tiffin box.
- You can also use cumin seeds, or spinach leaves instead of Methi leaves.
- Khakhras can be also made up of oats, or jawar instead of Wheat.
- Skip the oil to keep the calories count low.
- Add ginger-garlic paste to add more flavor.
- Make the khakhras thin so that it gets crispy fast.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 82Total Fat: 2.2gCholesterol: 1.5mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2.2gProtein: 2.6g
Related Methi Khakhra Recipe Video