Masala Dosa Recipe (South Indian Dosa Recipe) – Easy Homemade Masala Dosa
What’s Cooking India? This time its Masala Dosa. Who in this Country doesn’t love South Indian cuisine? I guess no one. South India is not only known for its traditions, but also for their foods. Rava Dosa, Medu Vada, Idli, Appam, Puttu and many more. Just their names bring water in my mouth. I love South Indian Cuisine. It has been my favorite breakfast from my childhood. This Masala Dosa Recipe is easy but time-consuming.
Every time I go to a restaurant, I always order some South Indian food. I never ever order anything else than that. I thought what if Masala dosa or other South Indian foods can be cooked at the comfort of home with the same taste as you get in the restaurant? So, here is a homemade Masala Dosa Recipe. Easy to make but requires a bit of time as fermentation is necessary to make this healthy and tasty snack.
Note: Read the whole Recipe before you start preparing the Masala Dosa.
Ingredients for a perfect Masala Dosa
|Chana dal (Chickpea)||1 tbsp|
|Urad Dal||½ cup|
|Parboiled Rice (also called as Idli Dosa Rice)||½ cup|
|Regular raw rice||1 ½ cup|
|Poha||4 to 4 ½ cup|
|Salt||According to your taste|
|For Potato (Masala)|
|Potatoes||3 to 4 Medium size|
|Cumin Seeds (Jeera)||1 tbsp|
|Mustard Seeds (Rai)||½ – 1 tbsp|
|Urad Dal||1 tbsp|
|Chana Dal||1 tbsp|
|Diced Onions||1 cup|
|Grated Ginger||¾ tbsp|
|Curry Leaves||4 to 5|
|Green Chillies||2 to 3 Chopped|
|Coriander Leaves||¼ cup|
|Turmeric Powder||½ tbsp|
|Salt||According to your taste|
|Asafoetida (Hing) (Optional)||A pinch|
Method to Prepare South Indian Style Masala Dosa
1) For Dosa Batter:
- Wash urad dal, chana dal, and rice well in 2 separate bowls. Soak them well with enough water for about 5-6 hours in different bowls.
- Drain out the water.
- Rinse out the Poha and soak it for about 30 minutes before grinding the Urad Dal, Chana Dal, and Rice.
- Take a blender, add soaked urad dal, chana dal, Poha, and salt. Add a little bit of water into the mixture. Blend the batter until it gains thick and smooth consistency.
- Now add the soaked rice into the blender and blend it for another 3-4 minutes. Note- The batter should not be too thick nor too runny.
- Pour the batter into a separate bowl and mix it well.
- Allow the batter to ferment for another 8-16 hours.
2) For Making Aloo Masala Filling:
- Boil the potatoes in the water until is half cooked.
- Take out boiled potatoes and peel off the skin. Mash the potatoes and keep it side.
- Take a separate pan, add oil and heat it.
- Add rai, jeera, chana dal, and urad dal. Saute them until the chana turns the slightest brown.
- Add ginger and Hing. Saute them for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add sliced onions, chilies and curry leaves. Fry until the onions become soft.
- Add the mashed potatoes into the pan along with turmeric, salt and a little bit of water. Let them cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Lastly, add the chopped coriander leaves and turn off the stove.
3) For Making Masala Dosa
- Heat the tawa on a medium-high flame. Take an onion slice and dip it into coconut oil. Brush it on the tawa.
- Pour a ladle full of the dosa batter on the tawa and start spreading it evenly in a circular way.
- You can make your dosa thick or thin depending on your choice.
- Drizzle few drops of coconut oil around the edges of the dosa. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes on medium flame.
- Place the aloo masala filling on one half of the dosa and fold it. Let it cook for another few seconds.
- Remove it from the tawa and serve it hot with sambar or chutney.
Tips to prepare a healthy and Delicious Masala Dosa.
- Keep the batter aside to ferment for at least 6 or 8 hours before preparing the Dosa.
- Fermentation is necessary as it will add all the healthy kinds of stuff in your batter.
- For a good taste, instead of oil, apply Ghee in the frying pan for preparing the Dosas.
- Use a non-stick pan to make Dosa.
- If you have kept your batter refrigerated, then keep the batter out at normal room temperature for at least 40 to 5 minutes. As cold batter will make your dosas tear off unevenly.