Kerala Puttu Recipe – How to Make Soft Kerala Puttu Recipe
What’s Cooking India? It is Kerala’s Puttu Recipe. This is one speciality of Keralites, that people in Kerala eat it in their breakfast daily. It is soft and healthy too. It won’t make you fat unlike some other breakfast foods like French Fries.
When I was in school, my friend used to bring this traditional dish in his tiffin box. And I was always the first person to grab his tiffin whenever he brought this.
I had asked him many time about the name of this dish, but he too didn’t know. After my school was completed, I missed his tiffin box.
This is just 2 months ago that I came to know the name about this recipe. It appeared in my suggestion list on YouTube. That is when I came to know that the dish that I loved to eat is known as Puttu. It was very delicious when I cooked. I immediately purchased the Puttu Kudam (Vessel in which Puttu is made) and tried my self.
Initially, it was not perfect but after 2 to 3 times, it was a perfect Puttu. I was very overjoyed!! So then I thought to share this recipe with you all.
Note: Read the whole Recipe before you start preparing the Puttu Recipe.
Ingredients Required for Kerala Puttu Recipe
|For Puttu Batter|
|Parboiled Rice||1 kg|
|Puttu Flour||1 cup|
|Coconut (Grated)||½ Cup|
|Salt||According to your taste|
|Water||⅓ Cup (To make the batter)|
|Water||3 – 4 cups (For steaming)|
If you also like south Indian dishes like me, then you must try this instant Rava Dosa recipe that can be made at home.
Method to Prepare a Kerala Puttu
- Wash the rice 2 to 3 times under running water until the water runs clear.
- Soak the rice for 2 hours in ample amount of water.
- Drain the water completely and spread the rice on a towel.
- Let them dry for about 40-45 minutes. Then get them ground from the mill while they are still slightly wet.
- Take the 2 cups of grounded flour, sprinkle it with 2-3 tablespoons of water and mix it well.
- Transfer the mixture into a big clean damp cloth. Tie the cloth and steam them for 10-15 minutes.
- Let the mixture come down to the room temperature. Now sieve the flour to remove small particles.
- Now store the sieved Puttu flour in an airtight container.
1) For Puttu
- Take a pan. Add 1 cup of Puttu flour.
- Dry roast the Puttu flour on a medium flame. Continuously stir the flour for about 3-4 minutes.
- Let the rice flour cool down and then add a ⅓ teaspoon of salt and ⅓ cup of water into the flour.
- Mix the flour well with the help of your fingers.
- In order to get soft Puttu, the rice flour and the water ratio are very important. To check the right consistency, gently press a small amount of the flour between your palm. It should form a shape.
- And then if you press it, it should deform into powder again.
- Make sure your rice flour mixture does not contain any lumps. If so break the lumps with your fingertips.
2) Steps to steam Puttu
- Take the Puttu Kudam and fill the base vessel of Puttu Kudam with 2 cups of water.
- Place it on the stove and let the water boil for some time.
- Now in the cylinder, place the flat disk on the bottom, and then add 2 tbsp of grated coconut.
- Then add 3 tbsp of Puttu Flour.
- Again add 2 tbsp of grated coconut.
- Then again add 3 tbsp of Puttu Flour.
- And then lastly again add 1 tbsp of grated coconut.
- Now, press the filling so that all the layers get intact together.
- Cover it with the lid provided with the Puttu Vessel.
- Place the cylinder on top of the base vessel.
- Let it steam for 10 Minutes.
- Remove the cylindrical holder from the vessel and with the help of a stick, push the filling from the other side slowly.
- Enjoy your Kerala Puttu recipe.
Tips for a perfect Puttu
- Puttu can be prepared only in the Puttu Kudam vessel.
- This is how a Putu Kudam Vessel looks like.
- There are two types of vessel. 1) As shown below. 2) That can be placed on top of the cooker.
- Puttu goes well with Chana Masala.
- Push the Puttu slowly. Pushing fast will break the Puttu.
Now your delicious Kerala Puttu Recipe is ready to be served. Serve it with Chickpea Curry, or Banana.