Hyderabadi Chicken 65 Recipe | Easy Chicken 65 Dry Recipe
Hyderabadi Chicken 65 recipe is a very popular South Indian starter dish that is spicy and delicious. There are many different ways of making this recipe. It is a popular snack made using marinated chicken. Chicken 65 recipe was first introduced in Madras by Buhari’s Hotel.
But, have you wondered, why the name Chicken 65 and not Chicken 75 or chicken 10? There are many theories regarding its name. The item was in their menu listed as the 65th item so it was named chicken 65. This is the most sensible theory that most of them follow. The Buhari’s restaurant continued the recipe with a naming convention and introduced chicken 78, chicken 82, and also chicken 90.
There are some other bizarre theories like the chicken is cut into 65 pieces, the chicken is kept marinated for 65 days, one of the chefs added 65 super hot chilies to make it super spicy and many more theories. You can try this chicken recipe in your breakfast or evening snacks.
In this recipe, small boneless chicken pieces are marinated in Chicken 65 masala and curd, and then deep-fried until the pieces turn crispy. Chicken 65 masala can be made at home with some basic ingredients, or it can be store-bought. Both will differ in taste and texture. Always use the homemade chicken 65 masala. It tastes very delicious and also much healthy than the store-bought one.
There are different ways to make the Chicken 65. To make Hyderabadi chicken 65, you will need to marinate the chicken in curd along with the other ingredients mentioned below. This is a dry version of chicken 65, you can also make a gravy version of this recipe by adding soy sauce, red chili sauce, and vinegar after step 6.
You can either just eat the fried chicken, or you can continue the whole recipe. It is a 2 in one simple and very easy recipe.
Recipe with detailed ingredients and steps are provided in the recipe card below. You can also print this recipe from the button provided in the recipe card.
You can try other Indo-Chinese recipes like,
Hyderabadi Chicken 65 Recipe | Homemade Chicken 65
To make this Hyderabadi chicken 65 recipe, you would need,
- Egg White
- Boneless Chicken Pieces
- Corn Flour
- Ginger Garlic Paste
- Fresh Curd
- Red Chili Powder
- Pepper Powder
- Curry Leaves
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Chopped Garlic
- Slitted Green Chilies
- Pepper Powder
– Take a large bowl, add the curd, red chili powder, ginger garlic paste, a pinch of turmeric, and some salt according to your taste, some chopped curry leaves, and some pepper powder. Mix them well.
– Now add freshly cut and properly washed small boneless chicken chunks. Mix properly and keep it aside for at least 1 hour.
– After 1 hour, add cornflour, and 1 egg white and mix well. Your chicken is ready to be fried.
– Take a deep frying pan. Switch on the flame, keep on high, and deep fry the marinated chicken pieces until they turn crispy.
– In a kadhai, heat little oil, add chopped garlic, cumin seeds, slitted green chilies, and 1 to 2 curry leaves.
– Saute for a minute, then add red chili powder, ginger garlic paste, curd, sugar, and salt. Stir well. As soon as the mixture starts thickening, add the chicken pieces.
– Stir for 1 to 2 minutes, so that all the pieces are coated properly. Switch off the flame and serve hot with chicken fried rice or egg schezwan fried rice.
Hyderabadi Chicken 65 Recipe
Hyderabadi Chicken 65 Recipe | Chicken 65 Dry
- 1 Egg White
- 250 Grams Boneless Chicken Pieces
- 3 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste ½ Tbsp for Marinating +½ Tsp for Cooking
- 3 ½ tbsp Curd 1 ½ Tbsp for Marinating + 2 Tbsp for Cooking
- 1 ¼ Red Chili Powder ½ Tsp for Marinating + ¾ Tsp for Cooking
- a Pinch Turmeric
- ½ tsp Pepper Powder
- 6 - 10 Curry Leaves
- Oil For Deep Frying
- Salt According to your taste
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- ½ tsp Chopped Garlic
- 3 Slitted Green Chilies
- ½ tsp Pepper Powder
- 2 tbsp Water
Steps to Prepare Chicken 65 Recipe (Marination)
- In a large bowl, add 1 ½ Tbsp curd, ½ Tsp Red Chili Powder, ½ Tbsp Ginger Garlic paste, a pinch of turmeric, and salt according to your taste, 3 to 4 chopped curry leaves, and ½ Tsp Pepper Powder. Mix it well.
- Add freshly cut and properly washed small boneless chunks of chicken and mix properly. Keep it aside for at least 1 hour.
- Add 3 Tbsp corn flour, and 1 egg white to the marinated chicken. Mix well. Your Chicken is ready to be fried.
Steps to make Chicken 65 Recipe
- Take a deep pan. Switch on the flame, keep on high. Add oil to deep fry your marinated chicken.
- As soon as the oil is hot, bring the flame on medium, add the chicken pieces slowly and one by one.
- Let it fry till it turns crispy. When the bubbles are stopped, then this is the time that you remove your chicken pieces.
- Fry all the chicken pieces and remove them on a tissue paper.
- In a Kadhai, heat 1 Tbsp oil, add ½ Tsp chopped garlic, ½ Tsp cumin seeds, Slitted Green Chilies and 1 to 2 curry leaves.
- Fry for a minute, then add ¾ Tsp Red Chili powder, ½ Tsp ginger garlic paste, 2 Tbsp curd, Sugar and salt according to your taste. Stir well.
- As soon as the mixture starts thickening, add the chicken pieces and keep stirring.
- Just stir for 1 to 2 minutes, as it is enough time to coat all the chicken pieces evenly. Switch off the flame and serve hot with Chicken fried rice or egg schezwan fried rice.
- You can increase or decrease the amount of red chili powder according to your taste.
- You can also keep your marinated chicken overnight in the fridge instead of 1 hour.
- Don’t use very sour curd. Use a freshly made curd.
- You can skip the marination part. There is readymade Chicken 65 masala available in the market. Just use that, and follow the rest of the procedure as it is.
- You can skip adding the egg. But use water instead of that.