GATE 2020 | Application Form, Syllabus, Exam Dates, Eligibility Criteria, Tips
GATE 2020 is conducted by GFITs, IITs, NITs, and all the other National Institutes on a rotational basis. Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering or GATE 2020 exam is conducted to offer admissions in various Masters courses like as M.Tech, M.Sc in technology/ engineering/ architecture, or P.hD in various branches of science.
This year GATE 2020 examination will be conducted by IIT Delhi. The application form will be made available on its official website (which will be announced later) in the month of September.
GATE 2020 examination is also conducted in many foreign languages like Nepal, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, United Arab Emirates.
GATE 2020 Overview
Name of the Examination
|Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering|
Commonly Known As
|Conducting Institute||IIT Delhi|
|Administered by||Jointly by the IISc Bangalore and Seven IITs|
Purpose of the Examination
|Qualifying Examination for M.E./ M.Tech/ Ph.D. admissions and PSU Recruitment|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Duration of Exam||180 Minutes (3 Hours)|
|Frequency of Examination||Annual|
|Total Number of GATE Papers||24|
|Total Number of Questions||65|
|Marks of Examination||100|
|Validity of Score/Grade||3 Years|
|GATE Official Website||gate.iitm.ac.in|
GATE 2020 Exam Dates
These are tentative dates based on previous years examination dates. Official dates will be updated as soon as an official notification has been released.
|Online Application start date||September 1st week 2019|
|Application Form Last Date to submit||October 1st week 2019|
|Online Application Form Correction date||October 3rd week 2019|
|Exam center change request last date||November 2nd week 2019|
|Admit Card date Available||January 1st week 2020|
|GATE Exam Date 2020||February 1st Week 2020|
|Answer Key date Release On||Just a few days after the examination|
|Result date Declare||March 1st to 2nd week 2020|
|Score Card download||March last week to May 1st week 2020|
|Counselling Starts||April 2nd week 2020|
GATE 2020 Application Form
Application form for GATE 2020 exam will be available only on their official website. It will be available from the first week of September 2019. GOAPS (Gate Online Application Processing System) is the processing system adopted by them which is used to register the candidates who want to appear for GATE examination.
The Candidates have to provide a valid email ID, and a working mobile number while registering in GOAPS.
Candidate will receive a unique GOAPS enrollment ID through which the candidate can log in the application form portal.
The Candidates will have to fill the application form and upload all the necessary scanned documents which are Signature, degree certificates, Caste Certificates (if applicable), photograph.
GATE 2020 Application Form (Specifications of Documents)
Dimensions & Format
|Photograph||3.5 cm x 4.5 cm
Resolution: 480 x 640 pixels maximum
and Minimum 240 x 320 pixels
|Signature||160 x 560 pixels Maximum resolution.
80 x 280 pixels Minimum resolution.
The photograph should be in colored format that has been taken by experts (in a photo studio) in a light background.
A recent photo and the face of the student should occupy 50% of the area in the photograph. The face of the candidate should be clear.
Clear glasses without any glare will be acceptable. Wearing a tinted or sunglasses while capturing photograph will be rejected.
The candidate signature should be made in a rectangular box which has size 2 cm x 7 cm on the A4 white sheet.
He/she should sign only with a black or dark blue ballpoint pen.
Signature in capital letters will be not accepted.
It has to be scanned by a professional with the help of a scanner.
GATE 2020 Application Fee
The application form won’t be considered as complete unless and until the application fee is paid. The application fees for GATE 2020 are as follows:
For the Exam Centre in India
- SC/ ST/ PwD/ Female Candidates: Rs. 750/-
- All other categories: Rs. 1500/-
For the Exam centre in (Ababa, Addis, Dhaka, Colombo, Kathmandu): US $ 50
For the Exam centre in Singapore or: US $ 100
GATE 2020 Eligibility Criteria
All the candidates appearing for GATE 2020 examination must be eligible first to appear for the examination. GATE 2020 Eligibility criteria for all the candidates are mentioned below:
- Bachelor Degree in Science / BSc. Research from recognized University.
- Bachelor Degree i.e. B.E./B.Pharm/ B.Tech/ B.Arch from a recognized University.
- Candidate should have a bachelor’s degree under 10+2+4 systems or any such equivalent. A candidate who has completed their Graduation under 10+2+3 system are ineligible for GATE.
- The applicants having Master’s degree in any branch of Science/ Statistics/ Mathematics / Computer applications or equivalent-M.Sc/ MCA/M.A.
- The candidates who are in their final year of qualifying exam can also apply for exam provided they have to submit the certificate from the Principal of University or College.
- Diploma candidates are not eligible for the examination.
The candidates, who have passed the qualifying examination, have to submit their certificate or degree certificate or provisional certificate.
The general eligibility criteria for GATE 2020 are given below:
- Candidates belong to Indian Nationality, also the candidates from Bangladesh, Sri lanka, Dhaka, Nepal, Ethiopia, UAE, Singapore are eligible to appear for GATE 2020 examination.
- All the candidates who are in their final year or have passed their Bachelor’s degree from a reputed college or University.
- The candidates with a masters degree in science and all relevant subjects can also apply.
- No age limit for GATE 2020 exam.
|B.Arch||5-years bachelor’s degree
pursuing final year
|B.E./ B.Tech/ B.Pharm||4-years B.Tech (after 10+2) in any stream or
3-years B.Tech lateral entry (after
B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology).
Final year candidates may also apply.
pursuing final year
|B.Sc. Research/ B.S.||4-years Bachelor’s degree in Science
(post-diploma or after 10+2)
pursuing final year
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||5-years Integrated Master’s degree program
or Dual Degree program in
are currently in
4th/5th year or
|Int. M.E/ M.Tech(Post-B.Sc.)||4-years Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree
programs in Engineering / Technology
|Int. M.Sc/ Int. B.S.-M.S.||Integrated M.Sc. or Five year
integrated B.S./M. S. program
|M. Sc./ M.A./ MCA or Equivalent||Master’s degree in
Applications or equivalent
are currently in
final year or
|Professional Society Examination equivalent to B.Tech/ B.E./ B.Arch||B.E/B.Tech/B.Arch. equivalent examinations
of Professional Societies, recognized by
MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by
Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by
the Institute of Civil Engineers India)
section A or
GATE 2020 Examination Paper codes:
|Electronics and Communications||EC|
|Computer Science and IT||CS|
|Architecture and Planning||AR|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Textile Engineering and Fiber Science||TF|
GATE 2020 Exam Pattern
The examination pattern for GATE tests the candidates in the field of English, General Aptitude and Discipline. The distribution of marks and subjects will depend on the paper that you will attend in GATE Examination.
GATE 2020 Exam Pattern is as follows:
- Mode of Exam: Online
- No of papers: 24 (Different for every discipline)
- Type of Question: MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions) and Numerical (objective type)
- Maximum marks: 100
- No of questions: 65
- Marks per question: 1 or 2 marks
- Negative Marking: 1/3 mark will be deducted for 1 mark question and 2/3rd marks for 2 mark question. There won’t be any negative marking for numerical ability questions.
- Duration: 3 hours
The basic exam pattern common for many papers are given below:
|S.No||Paper Code||GA Marks||Subject Marks||Total Marks|
|1||AE, AR, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, CY, EC, EE, EY, GG, IN, MA, ME, MN, MT, PE, PH, PI and TF.||15||85||100|
|2||XE (Section A + Any Two Sections)||15||15 + 2 x 35||100|
|3||XL (Section P + Any Two Sections)||15||25 + 2 x 30||100|
Section wise Marks and Questions Distribution:
|No. Of Questions
|Total no. of
|General Aptitude (GA)||
5 Questions :- 1 Mark
5 Questions :- 2 Marks
|Question Papers other than GG, XE and XL||
25 Questions :- 1 Mark
30 Questions :- 2 Marks
|Question Paper GG (Geology and Geophysics)||
Part A (Compulsory)
25 Question – 1 Mark
Have to attempt only 1 part,
30 Question – 2 Marks
|XE Paper (Engineering Sciences)||
Part A (Compulsory)
7 Questions :- 1 Mark
4Questions :- 2 Marks
Part A to H (Any two)
10 Questions :- 1 Mark
10 Questions :- 2 Marks
Part P (Compulsory)
7 Questions :- 1 Mark
4Questions :- 2 Marks
Part Q to U (Any Two)
10 Questions :- 1 Mark
10 Questions :- 2 Marks
GATE 2020 Admit Card
The admit card for GATE 2020 examination can be downloaded only from their official website i.e. with the help of GOAPS. The authorities won’t send any copy of Admit card through a post or through email attachment.
The candidates have to bring this admit card at the time of examination with one photo identity proof. This Photo ID card should be original. Photocopies are not allowed.
GATE 2020 Cut off
The cutoff marks are as follows:
and Information Technology (CS)
|Civil Engineering (CE)||28.7||25.8||19.1|
|Electronics and Communication
|Electrical Engineering (EE)||25.2||25.2||16.7|
|Mechanical Engineering (ME)||32.87||29||21|
|Chemical Engineering (CH)||44.3||39.8||29.5|
Note: These cut off marks are based on previous year examination.
GATE 2020 Examination Syllabus (Overview)
GATE 2020 examination will be organized in 24 different subjects, so separate syllabus will be published for each subject individually by the authorities.
- General Aptitude (GA): Numerical Ability & Verbal Ability.
- Architecture and Planning (AR): Building and Structure, Construction and Management, Architecture and Design etc.
- Civil Engineering(CE): Engineering Mathematics, Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering etc.
- Agricultural Engineering(AG): Soil and Water Conservation Engineering, Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, Farm Power, Engineering Mathematics, Farm Machinery, etc
- Chemistry(CY): Physical, Inorganic & Organic Chemistry
- Computer Science and Information Technology(CS): Digital Logic, Engineering Mathematics and Data Structures, Computer Organization and Architecture, etc
- Chemical Engineering(CH): Engineering Mathematics and Mechanical Operations, Process Calculations and Thermodynamics, etc.
- Biotechnology(BT): General Biotechnology, Recombinant DNA Technology Etc.
- Geology and Geophysics(GG): Weathering and soil formation etc.
- Ecology and Evolution(EY): Mathematics and Quantitative Ecology, Ecology etc.
- Electrical Engineering(EE): Electromagnetic Fields, Engineering Mathematics, Electric Circuits, Electrical Machine, etc.
- Electronics and Communication Engineering(EC): Networks, Signals and Systems, Analog Circuit, Engineering Mathematics, etc.
- Physics(PH): Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics, Classical Mechanics, Mathematical Physics, etc
- Instrumentation Engineering(IN): Engineering Mathematics, Electrical Circuits, Control Systems, etc.
- Petroleum Engineering(PE): Petroleum Formation Evaluation, Linear Algebra etc.
- Metallurgical Engineering(MT): Engineering Mathematics and Extractive Metallurgy, Thermodynamics and Rate Processes, etc.
- Mining Engineering(MN): Engineering Mathematics, Mine Development and Surveying, Geomechanics and Ground Control, etc.
- Mechanical Engineering(ME): Engineering Mathematics, Applied Mechanics and Design, Fluid Mechanics, etc.
- Mathematics(MA): Linear Algebra, Real Analysis, Algebra, Numerical Analysis, etc
- Production and Industrial Engineering(PI): Quality and Reliability, Engineering Mathematics, General Engineering, Manufacturing Processes, etc.
- Aerospace Engineering(AE): Aerodynamics, Structures, Space Dynamics, Propulsion, Engineering Mathematics, Flight Mechanics.
- (XE – A) to (XE – H): Polymer Science and Engineering, Fluid Mechanics, Materials Science, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, etc.
- (XL – P) to (XL – U): Microbiology, Biochemistry, Food Technology and Bio Chemistry Etc
GATE 2020 Result
Based on previous year examination, results for GATE 2020 will be declared in the 3rd week of March 2020. The results would be made available online only through their official website. Soon after the result declaration, the candidates can download their scorecard which will be valid for 3 years.
GATE 2020 Answer key
The GATE 2020 answer key will be available on their official website soon after the examination. This answer key contains all the correct answers with the help of this answer key, candidates can estimate the marks that they could score.
This answer key will be available in pdf format and it can be downloaded by entering their ID and password. If a candidate is unsatisfied with their obtained marks, then they can challenge the answer key by justifying their reason and paying ₹500 for every question within the stipulated time. The payment should be made online through their official website.
How to download GATE 2020 Answer Key?
- Visit gate.iitg.ac.in and click on GOAPS.
- Enter your enrolment ID and password.
- After successful login, you will easily see GATE 2020 answer key in candidate dashboard.
- You can download your answer from here.
- If you have forgotten login credentials you can retrieve them through forgot details link.
Challenge GATE 2020 Answer Key
GATE 2020 answer key can be challenged in Feb, only by login through GOAPS. Please note that you will also have to pay a fee (Rs 500) per question to challenge the answer keys of GATE 2020.
A candidate can challenge the answer key only after giving a valid justification. The form and the required amount has to be submitted together. Also, make sure that you mention the proper question number.
The question number should be according to the question paper PDF file uploaded on the official website. A preview is also shown of the selected question in the contest portal.
Also, while uploading any document supporting the contest, question number and section name have to be mentioned properly in the document.
Note: If the question number is not identified properly, then the challenge will not be considered.
GATE 2020 Counselling
Counselling is totally depended on how much score the candidate has received in GATE 2020 examination. Each candidate will have to individually apply for IITs of their choice.
This can be done only after official notification has been released. NITs arranges the CCMT (Centralized Counselling for M.Tech/ M.Plan Admissions / M.Arch). NITs organize this common counselling every year for all the candidates.
Documents required for GATE Counselling:
Candidates should carry the following documents when they attend the counselling process:
- Mark sheet of 10+2 level
- Colour Passport size photograph
- DOB certificate
- Mark sheet /scorecard of qualifying examination (for all semester).
- Admit card.
- Cast certificate (if valid)
- Seat acceptance fee proof
- Original score card of GATE 2020
- Provisional seat allotment letter
- Photo ID proof
How to prepare for GATE 2020?
Here are simple tips to effectively prepare for GATE 2020 examination.
- Prepare small notes of some important topics.
- Prepare a different sheet of formulas as this can help you in quick revision.
- Give an equal preference for all the sections.
- Increase your speed slowly and steadily. This can be done through regular practice.
- Solve mock tests which are available online.
- Most important, stay fit and healthy.
Recommended Books for GATE 2020
Here are some books that are recommended for GATE 2020 preparation
- QUANTITATIVE APTITUDE FOR COMPETITIVE EXAMINATIONS, REVISED 2017 EDITION
- Reasoning & Aptitude for GATE 2019 and ESE 2019 (Prelims) – Theory and Previous Year Solved Papers
- General English for GATE 2019 and PSUs 2019 -Theory and Previous Year Solved Papers
- GATE Topic – Wise Previous Years Solved Papers for Electrical Engineering First Edition
If you have any doubt/query related to GATE 2020, you can leave your comments in the comment section below.