Dahi Vada Recipe | Soft Dahi Bhalla
What’s Cooking India? It’s Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla. In Maharashtra, it is called Dahi Vada in which sweet yoghurt is used and in Delhi, it is Dahi Bhalla in which sweet curd is used. No one will ever say no to dahi vada recipe.
Similar as you get in restaurants, you can make more delicious dahi vada at home. Simple to make, it is a good evening snack that everyone will love to eat.
You can also take it in your tiffin as it can also be called as a healthy snack because it has dahi. So let us start making healthy Dahi Vada recipe.
Ingredients for Dahi Vada Recipe
|For Dahi Vada|
|Black Gram (Urad Dal Split Skinless)||500 gms|
|Yoghurt (Curd)||2 Cup|
|Baking Powder||½ tsp|
|Salt||According to your taste|
|Red Chilli Powder||½ tsp|
|Refined Oil||2 Cup|
|Cumin Seeds (Jeera)||2 tbsp|
|Roasted Cumin Seed Powder||1 – 2 tsp|
|Chat Masala (Optional)||1 tbsp|
|Tamarind Chutney||According to your need|
|Green Coriander Chutney||According to your need|
Steps to Prepare Dahi Vada Recipe
Method to prepare Vada for Dahi Vada
Step 1: Wash the Urad Dal properly. While washing, squeeze it with your hands as it contains a lot of impurities and white powder which can be removed only by squeeze wash for 2 to 3 times.
Step 2: Now, soak it in clean water overnight.
Step 3: Drain the water completely in the morning and put all the Urad dal in a Blender.
Step 4: You can add little water to grind it. Make a smooth paste out of it.
Step 5: Remove it in a bowl. Add finely chopped green chillies, ½ tsp baking powder, and salt. MIx it well. To make the batter light and smooth, you will have to beat the batter for 5 to 10 minutes with your hand.
Step 6: Now, take a large fry pan and heat 2 cups refined oil or according to your vessel size. The oil must be enough so that the vada doesn’t stick to the base.
Step 7: Keep the flame on medium and then drop 1 large spoon vada into the oil.
Step 8: Fry it until the vada turns crispy golden brown from all sides and remove them in a plate.
Step 9: Now, take a large vessel with lukewarm water. Dip all the vadas in it for 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 10: Remove the vada and lightly press it to remove the water. Remember, press it very lightly, if gently pressed then there are chances that the vadas will might break.
Method to prepare the Dahi for Dahi Vada
Step 1: Take the yoghurt in a large bowl.
Step 2: Add 1 tbsp sugar, ½ tsp Red Chili powder, Roasted Cumin Seed, and salt.
Step 3: Whisk it well until it becomes smooth like a Lassi.
Final Steps to make Dahi Vada
Step 1: If you want to keep it for 2 to 3 days, then you can put all the vadas into dahi and keep it refrigerated.
Step 2: Otherwise, take a small plate, keep 2 to 4 vadas at once and top it with the Dahi.
Step 3: You can also add a bit of Chat Masala or Roasted Cumin Powder, Tamarind Chutney, and Green Coriander Chutney. You can also add Red Chili powder to make it spicy.
Tips for a perfect Dahi Vada Recipe
- Adding sugar in the yogurt is optional. If you love a sweeter version of Dahi Vada, then you can add sugar or else you can skip. Rest all process remains the same.
- The consistency of batter must be perfect. To check whether it is perfect or not, you can take a small bowl filled with water, drop 1 tsp of vada batter and if it floats, then the consistency is perfect. If it sinks, then the batter is thin, you can add little semolina (Rava) to make it thick.
- Instead of this vada, you can use Medu Vada. Click on the link to learn to make Medu Vada. Rest all process remains the same.
- You can also make Dahi Vada from Moong Dal. Just use an equal amount of Moong Dal instead or Urad Dal.
- For a better taste, Serve Dahi Vada Chilled.
- Dropping the vada into the water as soon as it is fried is the key to make soft, spongy Dahi Vada.
- While frying the vadas, the flame should be on medium. This is because, if the flame is low, it will soak excess oil, and if the flame is in high, then only the outer side will cook, from inside it will remain uncooked.