Chana Curry Recipe | Best Chole Masala | Punjabi Chole
Chana curry recipe is y family’s favorite recipe. It is a very delicious Indian curry recipe made with onion and tomato paste which can also be called an important ingredient in this chole curry recipe. The authentic chana masala is made with white chickpeas. Chana masala is also one of the main curry recipe that is included in functions or ceremonies along with pooris and other dishes.
You can try aloo poori along with this recipe. You can also call this aloo puri as lazy people’s recipe. In this recipe, unlike aloo paratha, all the ingredients are mixed together and formed a dough. Different states and regions have their own method of making this chana bhaji. Some use white chickpeas, or some may use black chickpeas.
It is the most popular curry in India. Even it is very special for my family. Every time we visit a restaurant, chana masala along with tandoori roti is always our first dish to order.
Punjabi chole is made by freshly grounded spices, onions, and tomatoes which are made into gravy. Then the white chickpeas are added and simmered for some time.
In this post, I have used less spicy as we don’t eat many spicy things. But, you can use garam masala and red chili powder according to your preference. If you like spicy, then you can add them more. You can make this recipe for your lunch or dinner every week. Serve this curry to your guests, and I am very sure that they will love this recipe.
You can serve this chole masala with fulka or tandoori roti. It also tastes best with normal basmati rice or jeera rice. The chickpeas are kept in water for soaking for at least 8 hours. If you want to make them in urgent, then you can add hot boiling water to the chickpeas, cover and keep aside for an hour.
Although the taste will change, the chickpeas that were kept for 8 hours soaking will be much lighter and better in taste than the later. Also, it won’t upset your stomach.
Recipe with detailed ingredients and steps are provided in the recipe card below. You can also print this recipe from the button provided in the recipe card.
You can try these other curry recipes like,
You would also love some other rice recipes like,
Chana Curry Recipe
To make Punjabi chole, you would need these ingredients:
- Ginger Garlic Paste
- Red Chili Powder
- Small Bay Leaf
- Green Cardamoms
- Garam Masala
- Green Chili Chopped
- Coriander Powder
- Kasuri Methi
- Coriander Leaves
– Soak the chickpeas in water for at least 8 hours.
– Drain the water, rinse it thoroughly and pressure cook it with 2 cups of water for 4 to 5 whistles.
– Don’t open the lid until the pressure is completely released.
– Now, take a frying pan, add oil, let it heat on medium flame.
– Add chopped onions, ginger garlic paste and saute them for a minute.
– Now, add chopped tomatoes and saute them until the tomatoes turn soft.
– Add the spices, red chili powder, salt and saute it for a minute. Switch off the flame, and let this mixture cool completely.
– After it is cooled down completely, blend them on a mixer to a smooth paste.
– In a Kadhai, heat some oil, then add green cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, and bay leaf. Now add chopped onion and saute for a minute.
– Next add chopped green chili, garam masala, coriander powder, and the tomato-onion paste. Keep sauteeing them until oil starts coming out.
– Then, add the pressure cooked chickpeas and the water (as per your need) in which it was boiled into the kadhai. You can always add more water, and then simmer it to reduce down to your choice of consistency.
– Give a good stir and let it simmer on low to medium flame until it reaches the consistency you require.
– Switch off the flame, add chopped coriander leaves, stir once, and keep it aside. Your chole masala is ready.
Chana Curry Recipe | Chana Masala
Chole Masala | Punjabi Chole
- 3 large Onions Chopped For Blending
- 1 medium Onion Chopped For Gravy
- ¾ cup Chickpeas (Kabuli Chana)
- Oil as Per Needed
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- Water as Per Needed
- 2 medium Tomato Chopped
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tbsp Red Chili Powder - ½ Tbsp
- 1 small Bay Leaf
- 2 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Green Cardamoms
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Green Chili Chopped
- 1½ tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- Salt as Per Need
Steps to Make Your Chana Masala curry at Home
- First, take ¾ Cup water and soak 3/4 cup chickpeas for at least 8 hours.
- Drain the water, rinse it thoroughly 2 times and then add in the pressure cooker with 2 cups of water.
- Pressure cook it for 4 to 5 whistles. Don’t open the lid until the pressure is completely released.
- Now, take a frying pan, add 1 Tbsp oil, let it hot on medium flame.
- Add 3 large chopped onions, 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and saute them for a minute.
- Now, add 2 medium chopped tomatoes and saute them until the tomatoes turn soft.
- Add ½ tbsp red chili powder, salt and saute it for a minute. Switch off the flame, and let this mixture cool completely.
- After it is cooled down completely, blend them on a mixer to a smooth paste.
Steps to Make the Chana Masala
- In a Kadhai, heat 2 Tbsp oil, then add 2 green cardamoms, 2 cloves, 1-inch cinnamon, and 1 bay leaf.
- Now add 1 chopped medium onion and saute for a minute.
- Next add 1 chopped green chili, 1 tsp garam masala, 1½ Tsp coriander powder, and the tomato-onion paste.
- Keep sauteeing them until oil starts coming out.
- Then, add the pressure cooked chickpea and the water (as per your need) in which it was boiled. You can always add more water, and then simmer it to reduce down to your choice of consistency.
- Give a good stir and let it simmer on low to medium flame until it reaches the consistency you require.
- Switch off the flame, add 1 tsp Kasuri methi, 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, stir once and keep it aside.
- Your chole masala is ready.
- The doneness of your chana depends on the quality and the age of chana. It will take more whistles or fewer whistles to cook.
- You can keep your chana masala dry or gravy type as per your wish.
- Use the water in which you boiled the chickpea.
- Soaking the chana overnight will reduce your cook time.